Child Care National Agency Check and Inquiries (CNACI)
REQUIREMENTS: In accordance with Department of Defense Instruction (DODI) 1402.5 and Army Directive 2014-23 Child Care National Agency Check and Inquiries (CNACI) background investigations are required for all individuals who have regular contact with children under 18 years of age.
Army Directive 2014-23 (.pdf)
All individuals who regularly interact with children under 18 years of age in Army sponsored and sanctioned programs are required to undergo specific initial background checks and periodic re-verifications. These individuals include JROTC Instructors and any other person reasonably expected to have regular contact with children in performance of their duties or services in an Army sponsored or sanctioned program or activity.
- DO NOT download and return any of these forms until your receive a notification letter from the Chief, Instructor Management Division. Documents will not be accepted without a prior notification letter; you will be liable for all costs. DO NOT send any PII (Protected Information), Background Information, or any other Personal Information via email.
- JROTC instructors currently serving as an instructor is not considered a "new hire" for purposes of the background checks. They still need the checks, but needing the check doesn't preclude an instructor from transferring schools within the district, outside the district or to another state.
- CNACI Investigation Packet (.pdf)
- EXAMPLE: CNACI Investigation Packet (.pdf)
- Fingerprint Example (.pdf)
Additional State required Forms
If your state is not listed below there are no additional documents required.
Some states may require an OPM General Release Statement.
Some states may also require fingerprinting. Click Here to locate a U.S. Government authorized fingerprinting location.Alabama additional requirements:
- Alaska (.pdf)
- Arkansas SCHR Form_ASP 122 ID Record Check 07-01-08 (.pdf)
- Arkansas (.pdf)
- California (.pdf)
- Colorado (.pdf)
- Delaware (.pdf)
- Idaho (.pdf)
- Kansas (.pdf)
- Michigan (.pdf)
- Mississippi (.pdf)
- Missouri (.pdf)
- Montana (.pdf)
- Nevada (.pdf)
- New Jersey (.pdf)
- North Carolina (.pdf)
- North Dakota (.pdf)
- Tennessee (.pdf)
- Utah (.pdf)
- West Virginia additional Requirement SP 391 (.pdf)
- West Virginia Card Scan Services-Information Form (.pdf)
- West Virginia Fingerprint Card Requests (.pdf)
- West Virginia (.pdf)
- Wyoming (.pdf)